Saturday, April 20, 2013

Spirals All Around

Firstly, I would like to introduce myself, Jackie Bowcutt, I blog as Stitchworks-jackie  and am a contributor to Sue Bleiweiss’ book ‘The Sketchbook Challenge’, which I notice can now be read on Kindle.
How lucky am I to be asked to join the Sketchbook Challenge team when the theme is Spirals, because I have a whole sketchbook related to spirals, well actually to Early Celtic Art which is full of spirals and sinuous curves.

 When you work with a theme I am sure you will know that suddenly subject matter is all around you.

 I am lucky enough to be able to visit the British Museum easily and there are beautiful Celtic artefacts there, such as the Battersea Shield. Now-a-days we can look up details of these objects easily online, take a look here and at the great images via Google.
There are examples much nearer home for instance in the garden as plants put out their curvy tendrils.

One idea is to take your drawing and have it photocopied as large as A3 so that all the details will be accentuated; particularly useful if you intend to use it as inspiration for stitch.

I hope these bits and bobs from my sketch book will  help you along the way. 


  1. Isn't art and designs we create out of thoughts just the best thing ever!

  2. Welcome Jackie, I love getting to peek inside your sketchbook!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.