Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bowled Over

Old bowls, new bowls, handmade and art bowls. I am bowled over by them. I love drawing, painting, sketching, creating and collecting


BOWLS

Our May theme is
brought to you by

I love containers of all sorts, but the openness of a bowl signals a readiness to receive and that puts them at the top of my love list.


I am not quite sure when my love of bowls began. What I do know is that I have been collecting them for years. Sure I have had a large family to feed, but really, my bowls far out number my family members.

Stack of Bowls. Sketch filter added to my photograph. TAP (Transfer Artist Paper) transfer into sketchbook. Texture added with Golden Crackle Paste. Stenciled, collaged and painted with acrylics and Pan Pastels.

Two of my favorites are shown above: an old blue-striped farmhouse bowl that I found at a barn sale here on the farm last summer. The other is a Target find a few years ago. I instantly fell in love its the color and texture.

Another treasure in my collection is the berry bowl my mother commissioned from an artisan to commemorate her 40th wedding anniversary in 1988. (We just celebrated our 42nd last month!)




One of my most cherished is the bowl I bought many, many moons ago for a future grandson. My maiden name is Jackson., my father's nickname, Jack. Seven granddaughters later, I'm still waiting for a grandson. Chances are good - there are three children yet to marry.




I collected bowls long before I read Sue Bender's books Plain and Simple and Everyday Sacred. Bowls play a significant part in these two memoirs. Reading Bender's thoughts and experience with bowls gave me some insight as to why I am so drawn to them.

"The Zen monk's begging bowl is the pervasive image in this author's continuing spiritual journey she began recording in her bestselling Plain and Simple, in which she described her time living among the Amish. Here, she tells how, back home amid the more mundane experience of her daily life, she accepted the challenge of finding meaning by daily proferring the beggar's bowl to be filled with the sacredness of everyday life. The lessons and stories that fill her bowl are related to Bender's life-ordinary events seen with fresh eyes and offered as simple ways for busy people to incorporate reflective periods into their lives. The simplicity that made her earlier book appealing is also evident here." From Publishers Weekly via Amazon.com


Bowls are welcoming containers. They are open and ready for whatever you want to place in them - food, trinkets, yarn, memories, wishes, hopes and dreams.


To sketch them requires an openness in itself. For a truly graceful bowl, you must employ your full arm to get the true circular shape and feel of the bowl. It's hard! That's why I often resort to manipulating photographs. But there's a bit of quirky magic and charm in a hand-drawn bowl. 


Bowls I thermofax screen printed and hand-painted on fabric





Mixed Media Bowl created with image transfer and fabric collage shaped and sealed with  polymer medium


So now over to you! What is it about bowls that bowls you over? I'd love to know so please leave a comment. Fill my bowl.



26 comments:

  1. What fun!!! I have a friend, who for years, has given me Christmas gifts of homemade English Toffee in a small decorative bowls. Every year I so look forward to seeing what kind of bowl she has found. She usually gets them at flea sales, yard sales, etc. I have quite a collection now!! Think I will break them out and start sketching!! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh! I'd love to see your collection, Christie. You've got a great friend.

      Delete
  2. All very nice, and my most favorite delights are the one where Jack built his house and the bird bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. Isn't it amazing how the same shape can be so different and create different feelings.

      Delete
  3. Love the colorful little bird bowl! What a great idea for a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bowls and look forward to sharing some of my precious bowls this month! What a great theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you've got Terry!

      Delete
  5. Love bowls! Containers for goodies! I love the techniques you used in your sketchbook, love your TAP and have used it often! Thanks for the great ideas, post and bowls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Desiree. Will you be bowling me over with your bowl sketches?

      Delete
  6. Love the bowls theme and am so glad I'm home a bit with out a major event on my calendar this month, so I may actually get to participate this month! yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got some of your bowls already - the artwork you did for my Quotes book. It will be great to see more JCP bowls. So glad you have a pretty open month. It's so rewarding after such a busy few.

      Delete
  7. Am I missing something? I'm not seeing a code to use when tagging one of our photos on Flikr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa there is no giveaway for May so there is no need to tag your photos.

      Delete
  8. I've always had an affinity for bowls too. I always mean to buy plates and I end up with bowls instead. Baskets are like bowls - I love them too! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Deb, me too! I love any kind of container, bowls, baskets, boxes, even envelopes!

      Delete
  9. I did an internal 'Aargh' when I first saw the theme as I've never sketched a bowl before, but I'm quite happy with the results :0) Mo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a simple item, but not always easy to capture it's essence and graceful lines. I'm so glad you are happy with your results, Mo.

      Delete
  10. Great theme and I enjoyed seeing some of your collection. I think I might have 'bowl envy' tee, hee.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about bowl envy. I'm having a lot of it with all these bowl posts!

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh! I looooove your journal page! The colors really pop up and your taste for bowls goes really well with mine ;)

    Even the transfer paper you used is new for me so thank you for this, I'm going to be looking at it right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, mini! I'm so glad I could share my collection with you and turn you on to my transfer paper. Happy TAPping!

      Delete
  12. I am very rusty and have painful hands (rheumatoid arthritis) but I am going to jump in and have a go. Would cross my fingers if I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wondered if keeping our hands and fingers in use will help with the pain of RA and regular arthritis. My daughter has RA and my right thumb joint seems to be wearing away. I'm glad to hear you are going to give it a try!

      Delete
  13. I love bowls too! Your sketches are wonderful and seem like such fun, I can't wait to sketch some too! Thank you!

    Geary grammygeary@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your bowls! Seven grand daughters - Wow. I have seven grandkids too, but not all of one gender. I hope one of your kids will give you a grandson soon!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.