Friday, May 17, 2013

Bowls and Gelli prints.



Jackie here with more about how I used the image I found on a bowl in The British Museum. As I have been playing with gelatine prints recently and just obtained a gelli plate, I decided to make a mask of the animal I had sketched.

 The ‘cross stitch’ cow quickly became some kind of deer, but what I kept was the wild look in its eyes. I used parchment paper for the mask but you can use most kinds of paper depending on how often you want to be able to reuse it. I used water based printing ink.


 Finally, I machine stitched the mask to the print. I added some details with pen and moved the printing ink around a little with a wet brush. A few hours of fun was had!
Gelli prints which are nothing special can be photographed on a ‘tablet’ and then use a sketch/paint programme to add some bowls. If you like some help drawing your bowls trace from a photograph you import into the app and then manipulate the image on layers. Add a frame in an app such as Snapseed. Print out and use in your sketchbook.


6 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so gobsmacked at the talent here, all that stitching and technical know how too. Loving the red spotty bowls btw, lol :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No one has accused me of 'technical know how before'' my sons would get a good laugh at the very idea!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Jackie. These are really cool! I really want to work with this technique. I love the results you got. Both the deer and the bowls are terrific. This is also the first time I've ever seen the word, "gobsmacked". I rather like it - it works :) Have a great day! -Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep admiring work done on a tablet, like your spotty bowls! I've tried to make some of my own, but on the small scale of my smart phone, they're not half as interesting and more trouble than they're worth to create. You've inspired me to keep at it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I love the cow-deer mask technique. It looks very nice and abstract and would work great on my Gelli prints to do a similar technique. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. II am pleased it makes you want to have a go. I intend to practise some 'flower bowls ' inspired by the post above

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.