Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bowls Three Ways

Hi, it's Kristin. I have a set of bowls from the 40s given to me by my great grandmother. They inspired a whole collection of post-war California pottery, but that's another story. For now, I just knew that the set was what I wanted to draw for this month's Bowl theme.


Untitled

I love how the bowls nest, so I set them on the floor and drew them from above. Just using one pen, it was an exercise in cross hatching. I admire a good cross hatch. I am lacking, but the more I practice, the more improvement I see. It seems that cross hatch techniques are kind of like fingerprints too -- everyone's style is a little different.

Untitled

Next, I loosened up a bit with a big fat Sharpie pen. I thought the bold pen looked good with the bold shape of the bowls. I wasn't in the mood to realize the drawing with a lot of color, but I couldn't resist a hint at the retro pastel hues of the bowls.

Untitled

Another great way of looking at a subject is to focus on the negative shape. I set up the bowls so they'd have a nice silhouette, and did a somewhat blind drawing of the spaces between. It turned out completely blah, so I just kept drawing, adding details and curves, and finally beefing up the edges with the Sharpie and adding a cross hatched ground. Sometimes what we set out to draw is not what we end up drawing.

I enjoyed spending some time for a few days with my favorite bowls, and judging by the other posts this month, it looks like the rest of the crew has had fun raiding the shelves too. A humble subject like a favorite cup or bowl is a great vehicle for practicing and developing our skills.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the cross-hatch technique that you used in drawing the bowls. It adds so much texture and interest to the pieces. And what you did in the last photo too, the shading, done a similar way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the drawings. Can you teach me cross-hatching? (Sorry, every time I hear that phrase I think if a multi-avian nest, with blue jays and robins living together...)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.