Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pottery bowls

Judy Coates Perez here

boy, where has the month gone? I was really excited about this theme when Lesley announced it because I love drawing and making bowls.


When I lived in Austin I spent several years doing pottery. I think clay has to be my second favorite medium to work in after fabric.
If you are familiar with my work you'll probably see a lot of overlap of decorative motifs from my pottery to my quilts. I liked to glaze my pots very similarly to how I free motion-quilt.


I also loved carving the surface of my bowls, giving them texture in the same way I think quilting gives dimensional texture to the surface of a quilt.


This is a double wall bowl.
It's thrown upside down on the wheel, by first pulling up the center of the clay to form a closed dome that becomes the inner bowl, then you pull up a second outer wall to finish it, giving it the look of a thick heavy bowl.

I also made a few bowls that weren't round.


I have always enjoyed drawing and designing bowls






I just wish I still had the time to make them too.

16 comments:

  1. These are pretty awesome! Thanks for showing them to us.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of Very Beautiful Bowls - your black & white pictures are my favourites! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these. I did a bowl and water pitcher once..just painted the pre-made sort and loved how you had to imagine what would happen after the firing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb that is part of the exciting and sometimes nerve wracking thing about pottery, so much can happen during the firing process. Pieces can crack, or sometimes explode during a firing and sometimes they come out better than you ever dreamed.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Judy. These are some of the most beautiful bowls I have ever seen. You are truly talented. Thanks so much for sarhing your work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bowls are beautiful!! I hope you'll find time for clay again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing these bowls, Judy! I didn't realize this about you but I'm not surprised. I love each of these. I can tell they came from your hands. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie, its funny how we can know each other for so long and still have surprises :)

      Delete
  7. I wish you had time to make them, too, because I would like to buy some! I adore the triangular one, but they are all fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bowls are beautiful!! I hope you'll find time for clay again I love seeing these
    pottery bowls Judy! I didn't realize this about you but I'm not surprised. I love each of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG !!!
    I am surprised to see these too much beautiful Pottery bowl. Personally i have to go with Triangle one. but all have their own shine and place. Thanks a lot for sharing with us this innovative Post.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.