Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dion's Doodle Flowers


Dion Dior here.  I love doodles and I love flowers, so I was especially thrilled about this month's theme of "Garden Doodles". 


When I first started exploring sketchbook art with more focus, I spent a lot of time doodling.  It's a great way to relinquish the pressure we put on ourselves to produce something that is considered perfect.  And let's face it, very very few of us are able to produce perfect.
 

The freedom and looseness of doodling is extremely important to building confidence and creative expression.  All good artists have books filled with scribble, doodles, and disasters, it's an important step to developing style and ideas for every type of artist.


Doodling subjects that you find interesting is an excellent way to develop your drawing skills.  It is through doodles that we explore the shapes and structure of the things around us.



Flowers have always been a passion of mine, and by scribbling and playing with lines, I have been able to study flower shapes and composition.  Doodling flowers is also an important vehicle for me to explore color.  When I doodle, I move away from proportion and dimension and am free to take all the creative license I need to explore color.


My sketchbooks are filled with flower doodles and patterns, some of them I transfer to larger works of art, and others just become illustrations for art journal pages or vehicles for my creative practices with different art supplies.


When you're struggling to find inspiration for your sketchbook practice, just put pen to paper and start doodling flowers...it's a very powerful exercise.

Thanks for checking in. xx

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on doodling, Dion. I'm still in the fear stage when it comes to drawing and this really gave me some energy to get going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I'm glad it is useful. My motto is put pen to paper...no matter what. Hugs xx

      Delete
  2. yep - I have been in a long term slump - I shall take my pencils to work today - lunch break - doodle break - I need to SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Go Girl...putting pen to paper..it's the ONLY way. Hugs xx

      Delete
  3. Love the bright, fun results of your doodling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure where I first this but I just love the bright colours and looseness(if that is even a proper word) of the doodling. Can you please tell me what you use to colour with.
    Many thanks
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie-Ann, I use several different mediums to add color to my work, but this page was done using Twinkling H2O Luminescent Watercolors. Hugs xx

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.