Monday, June 10, 2013

Doodle FAIL



Susan Brubaker Knapp here. This month’s theme, Garden Doodles, is perfect for me, and not so perfect. Why? I love plants, flowers and gardens. But I don’t really doodle. Maybe it’s because I’m too uptight. Maybe it’s because I’m a bit more of a perfectionist than I’d like. At any rate, I took a stab at Garden Doodles and ended up with not-quite-doodles. 

Take the beautiful day lily above. I shot this photo on my iPhone5 (I love having a camera in my pocket or purse wherever I go!) on my morning walk around my neighborhood with my dog. Here’s my doodle. Well, sketch. At least I did it in ink (Sharpie permanent pen), rather than in pencil and then ink, as I usually do. I was trying to doodle!


And here is it after the water color:

This is my photo of a yellow rose:


The doodle:
 With color:

My photo of a Lenten Rose:


The doodle:

And the doodle with water color:


 Next time, I'm going to try harder to actually doodle.

14 comments:

  1. So great. I love the way you paint those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! I love the clear, clean colors in these flowers.

      Delete
  2. These are so lovely - much too posh to be called doodles but very beautiful all the same ! Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why you put "Fail" in the title. They are beautiful.

    Maybe they aren't doodles, technically. But, for those that like for things to be perfect, your "not-quite-doodles" are perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a total fail, Suzanne, just a "doodle fail"! I like them, but I don't think they are doodles.

      Delete
  4. What is a doodle? A doodle to me is a relaxed drawing. Sometimes it is merely mark making but many times it is drawing simple pictures. I would include what you have done here to be doodling. You sure weren't trying for a photo-like drawing! These are relaxed and lighthearted drawings. A+, not a Fail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Timaree… but my doodles seem a bit less relaxed than most people's doodles! Thanks for giving me a passing grade!

      Delete
  5. When I read the word fail in the title I expected something less pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is also a great mini-class in ink and watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane... I have never taken a watercolor class, and I think I'd love learning more about it. I did use watercolor paper for these doodles, and it was much better than the regular paper I'd used before.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I wish I could bookmark this on pinterest so I could come back to it later...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I love these and I am gonna give it a try today photo, sketch, water color! Some times in my desire to be great! Well I blow the image I have in my head lol! And try to recover as best as possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes some very nice things come out of "blowing it" and recovering. :-)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.