Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sketching Nature



Happy Summer from Lesley Riley. Last month at my Red Thread Retreat, we spent some time sketching outdoors under the guidance of our instructor and fellow Sketchbook Challenge contributor, Jane LaFazio.


We celebrated and recorded the season using gelli plate prints on paper and fabric, sketching on a variety of papers, and adding layers of masking, stenciling and stamping.


I particularly liked sketching on old book pages. The layer of text is a wonderful background for any drawing.



And don't forget, you can also draw with thread. I emphasized the veins of the mono-gelli-printed leaves with stitch on this fabric I created to use as the cover of my hand-bound journal. 



As always, I carried away by color. 

3 comments:

  1. Ah, what a wonderful time we had! Great seeing you're beautiful images again, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was an awesome time with both Lesley and Jane - I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! We all need a creative retreat from our "everyday lives" don't we?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.