Thursday, June 6, 2013

Views From The Garden

Carol Sloan here.

Here in the southeastern United States, the temperatures are rising as is the humidity.
I love gardening and have always had small flower gardens in my yard. But lately, between back injuries and other aches and pains, I haven't spent much time in the garden doing anything except admiring my husband and his handiwork with weeding and mulching.

I have been drawing, messing with plaster and making books.
And a little natural dyeing/eco printing.

Here's one piece that I created using a piece of MDF board as my substrate. The tree stem is a loose interpretation of a dogwood tree in the neighbors yard.

I will be adding a quote or something in the open area (darker pink) later. I'm waiting for the piece to indicate what it needs to say.

I layered plaster and joint compound on the substrate.
After allowing that to dry completely, I carved the drawing into the surface.
I used watercolor paint and acrylic glazes to add layers of color.
I think that I sealed it with soft gel or maybe a spray finish.

It's a wonderful practice to sit and really pay attention to the beauty around you.
And documenting that in a sketchbook or on a piece of artwork is a fitting tribute to all that Mother Nature brings to us.


  1. Texture (along with color) is one of my hot buttons, so it's no wonder I like this approach. I enjoy carving and find the resulting combination of physical and visual texture very appealing. Thanks for sharing!

    (Yet another southerner enduring the heat and humidity.)

    1. Triche, You're right, it's the combo of the physical and visual that is so nice with carving into a substrate! Thanks for visiting the SBC blog.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.