Thursday, July 4, 2013

'Into the Woods'


Jackie here. This may be a bit of a cheat but I never got to go camping in the woods, with the Girls Life Brigade we used to 'camp' on mattresses in a school hall; however this month's theme made me think of a sketchbook I started some time ago using leaves, and occasionally I still pop a pressed leaf between the pages.



 I think it is quite important that it was done at least a couple of years ago because it shows that the leaves will survive reasonably well.


 I used a book made out of soft handmade paper to work into and the backgrounds are painted paper, some newspaper and some what we would call greaseproof paper in the UK but which I think is like the US deli paper.


 So try machining some leaves picked up on your walks into the woods. 



I also remembered a pressed banana plant leaf which I cut some letters out of. Nearly forgot the best idea, some leaf shapes were cut out of ice cream wrappers which were heated with a hot air gun to make them bubble – well, yes, best because you get to eat the ice cream first whether you are in the woods or not!

4 comments:

  1. What kind of ice cream wrappers? That is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnum wrappers. Quite plastic y wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your use of mixed media - I would never think of combining these materials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you've done here Jackie and I'm really impressed with the way those leaves have held up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.