Monday, July 1, 2013

July Theme: "Into the Woods!"

Hi! Terry Grant here. My turn to choose a theme and July always brings back my fondest memories of Girl Scout Camp—years as a camper, followed by years as a camp counselor. My camp was camp Tendoy in the mountains of Idaho, in the shadow of Scout Mountain. It was there that I learned about the woods and first knew that it would always be a special place of serenity and renewal for me.

Growing up in Idaho meant lots of picnics and fishing trips and weekends at the family cabin. There were summers filled with wild berries, picked in the woods behind the cabin, hikes in the hills, campfires, storytelling, marshmallows and mosquitoes. The tall pines and aspens provided peace and refuge from the heat of the summer and space for my imagination to flourish. The woods were full of treasures—wildflowers, exotic mushrooms, perfect pine cones, velvety mosses and jewel-like dragonflies, flitting past. The fragrance of the pines was intoxicating.

Here is a piece of my fabric art that grew out of those memories.

 Campfire, 2012

I hope you will enjoy drawing on your own memories of time spent in the woods. Or if you are lucky, take your sketchbook into the woods, find a log or big rock to sit on and be inspired by your surroundings.

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your theme, Terry! Thinking about Girl Scout camp, singing songs and eating s'mores. It brings back some great memories! I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect theme for this time of year! I'm working on a workshop for a retreat group - basing it on the theme of "Trees" i.e. as messengers to our spirits...so this is a perfect fit stimulating my senses and memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this theme and that quilt! Gorgeous! I've been following the blog for a long time, but stopped going to my Google Reader quite a while back; now that they've closed down & I'm on Bloglovin, I get my blog posts every day in my email! So I can keep up-to-date, and maybe remember to share some art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great theme! I too have lots of great Girl Scout camp memories from Camp Cloverleaf in Illinois. So many fun and scary memories (there was a monster down by the river that came up and ate your underwear at night!)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this theme. We would call it the bush here in New Zealand. I have spent many long hours tramping in the bush and experiencing nature at it's most beautiful. I am looking forward to this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a great theme Terry and that artwork is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I think of the woods, I think think of trees. Being a genealogist as well as having grown up in the woods, I love trees. :)

    Your quilt is beautiful. Thank you for this theme.

    Here is the link to my submission for this challenge:
    http://ps-annie.blogspot.com/2013/07/wordless-wednesday-and-sketchbook.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great topic especially since I was fortunate enough to have vacationed in the woods recently

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt, Terry! For this challenge I used an old book and sketched/painted a leaf on top of the text. You can view it at my blog: http://dandelioninkstudio.blogspot.com/2013/07/into-woods.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have another submission for "In the Woods". It is located here:

    http://ps-annie.blogspot.com/2013/07/two-hearts-that-beat-as-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is bamboo considered "the woods"?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is bamboo considered "the woods"?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning quilt! I always enjoy watching campfire flames dance up into the night sky, and your piece really captures that uplifting and magical feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.