Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Journey of a Different Kind

Dion Dior here.  

Not all journeys involve travel.  For some, the journey through a dark and terrifying time can be a life changing experience.  Death, illness, loss, or any number of traumas can bring us to a place we never expected to be.

Courage

I, like many in our little art community, have been rocked by the recent breast cancer diagnosis our dear friend and fellow artist Tracey Fletcher King received some weeks ago.   I have been honored by my friendship with Tracey over the years, and inspired by her wit, humor, beauty, and creativity.

Courage

Tracey is currently at war with this terrible disease, and so much of my heart and mind are with her.  I think about her every day and I send all my strength to her and her family. 

Courage

Tracey is a strong, powerful, brave woman and I know she will come through the next few months having shed lots of layers, cried many tears, and in awe of her own strength and grace.  She has insurmountable courage, as do so many women who have journeyed down this path ahead of her. 

Courage  

In reality this battle, this journey of a different kind, is something that has been forced upon far too many people. It is not their willingness to go into battle against cancer that is inspiring, in this they has no choice.  It is their courage to face this monster with grace, dignity, and humour.  It is their honesty and control in the face of such debilitating fear that I honor.  It is their loving and caring hearts that remain unchanged, their intellect, their elegance, and their commitment to their loved ones that is truly amazing. 

Courage

Tracey Fletcher King is a hero!  All cancer sufferers are heroes!  Their journey is of a different kind, and I honor them all. Please keep Tracey and all cancer sufferers in your thoughts, honor their journey, and remember to make the most of every day you have.

Courage

(This sketchbook page was done in watercolor pencil and ink)

Thanks for checking in xx

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to honor Tracey's fight. Some journeys we do not wish to take, but are compelled to take. In my experience, they often teach us more than the easy journeys. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, thanks Dion. I will pray for Tracey along with my sister who is fighting her second battle with this disease!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.