Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Patterned Paper Watercolor Journey

Hello. I'm Gina Kim and as a new TSC host, I am thrilled and honored to be here! Thank you.

This month's theme--Journeys--was truly a fun and creative excursion for me. I played with juicy colors and turned on my sewing machine to make a special art journaling page.

Watercolor is my go-to medium and these are the colors I love. The paper I used here were pages out of my Strathmore Mixed Media Visual Journal. I used water-based Sharpie poster paint pens and acrylic Montana markers to doodle whimsical patterns.

Two projects were happening simultaneously. As my patterned papers were set aside to dry, I started a moonscape painting on an 11" x 14" Arches watercolor cold press paper (I own a binding machine and have pre-punched my watercolor pages.....to be assembled into a book later).

With the background, middle-ground and foreground complete, I wanted to capture a beautiful starry night with a winding road.

I added some birches and an inspirational quote: “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” ~ Ernest Hemingway  


After everything dried, I trimmed my patterned papers down to create four foldable flaps on my art journal page.




Each flap was anchored by Japanese washi tape and a zig-zag stitch. I used washi tape because of its thin, transparent, yet highly malleable quality. This creates smooth opening & closing of the flaps rather than bending the patterned paper itself.


When all the folds come together, there is a perfect square opening, adorned with a tiny embellishment at the center.

It's a hide-away form of art journaling.

Bonus: I now have an expanded surface area to do more writing, doodling and/or painting.


Below is my sketchbook where I planned out my ideas for this project and practiced my doodles :). 


Thanks for visiting!

30 comments:

  1. Welcome to the group Gina! Thanks for sharing your interesting format and happy colors. Your journey looks like a fun one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin. Sometimes I wonder if I should "tone it down" and neutralize things a little.....only to find myself painting highly saturated colors again! IAAR = I Am Addicted to Rainbows.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the group, Gina! I love your color palette! The patterned paper is inspiring me to reach outside myself and work in paper, instead of fabric. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I need to reach outside myself and work in fabric more often :)

      Delete
  3. Did you use acrylic for the birch trees? Love the colors and your lettering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. White birch trunks were painted in gouache.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Love this idea and your colorful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful, Gina. You are a great addition to the group. I love your colors and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, that's so sweet of you. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Can't help myself from going zingy :). Thanks Jackie.

      Delete
  8. You had me at the birch trees – my favorite! Beautiful work. I really like the way you added the type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Everyone loves birches, right? I've been trying to add more text to my journals. Thank you so much Susan.

      Delete
  9. Welcome Gina! I love your wonderful colors and layered glazes. You are a great addition to our group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Gina! I love your wonderful colors and layered glazes. You are a great addition to our group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Carol. Thank you x2! You say the nicest things :)

      Delete
  11. Gina, what a beautiful project! I'm like Susan, you had me at birch trees, but then that cover! Oh wow. So glad you have joined the group :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Beth. What a tremendous feeling. It's totally my honor be here with you. With you all!

      Delete
  12. This post is very inspirational. I've been trying to work on creating more backgrounds and patterns without a specific "design" in mind. Seeing your journal pages gives me a boost.

    Love that moonlit watercolor scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you ~runningwave~. So glad this inspires you!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.