Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sketchbook Challenge Blog Hop ~Carol Sloan

Carol Sloan here.

I am like so many of the artists here in that I love the imagery of a house.
It signifies so much of what we hold dear to us.
And it's just plain fun to draw & paint!

I spent a couple of years compulsively painting whimsical houses on small pieces of scrap wood while simultaneously drawing them in my art journal.
I must have painted and sold over a hundred of them over the course of a year.

Here are a few samples of both.




















I love being able to add all those little lines and dots into the drawing that bring them to life for me.

It's the wonky, uneven, trembling lines of my drawings that show a part of me that I sometimes cannot.
While I love and appreciate more serious art, when I sit down to doodle and draw - this is what comes out of my pen.
And I guess that I need to quit fighting it.

I also made a set of place mats with the same type of houses on them.
They have been laundered many, many times but still hold a sparkle of whimsy.
Here's one of them.



Now - head over to my blog for a look at one more idea that I had for these whimsical houses.
Oh, and I'm having a great give away also!

14 comments:

  1. Carol I love your whimsical houses! I think all the fun doodled details are just wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree. I can't stop myself with when it comes to doodles!

      Delete
  2. I love your houses! Your style is so playful and has encouraged me to start seeing things from a whimsical point of view and to be more playful in my artwork (I'm just starting out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, please do allow your whimsy point of view to have its way!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I love your houses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your doodling and your houses. and from your blog the giraffe in a tree...love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! That giraffe just crept out of that tree, didn't he?

      Delete
  5. Quirky and colourful....they're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I use a lot of color on the little houses but not as much in my fiber work (a little odd, eh?)

      Delete
  6. These are so lively! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I can get rather lively from time to time, eh?

      Delete
  7. Dinner at you house would be so much fun with those placemats. I love the giraffe tree. A children's book in the making, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannie. Dinner here would be great, esp. if my husband cooks!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.