Monday, September 23, 2013

Sketchbook Challenge Blog Hop ~ Jamie Fingal

Home, which is probably my most favorite motif that I use in my work as an artist. I am happy to announce that this a watercolor has become the title and focal point of a fabric line that I designed for Hoffman California Fabrics, that will be in stores in 2014.  I figured that this would be a good place to start.  It is near and dear to my heart.

Three watercolors that have been translated into fabric about home, doing what you love and quilting!

This one of the other focal fabrics of houses.  My drawings were incorporated into the house, roofs, cups and saucers.  You can hop over to my Twisted Sister blog, to see more pieces from my new fabric line, and my hideaway studio
For my project, I decided to use this old checker board, because it was sturdy and large enough

I didn't have much Gesso left, so I just covered up the red portions, and lightly applied it over the text.  I really liked the scrappy finish, where you could see some of the text.

Preparing the background, which I believe is really important, in making all kinds of art. Then I painted the entire piece with yellow acrylic paint and let it dry

Then I painted the surface with pink acrylic paint, and used a comb on it to create great texture, moving in a variety of directions.  Paint a section at a time, and then use the comb. Repeat, until finished.

This is what it looked like when that part was done.  I love the layers that it creates.

Next thing that I used over the top was Fun Foam textures, where you paint the fun foam and dab it onto the surface.  I love this dot one!

It created more color, interest and depth

I color copied (Laser) some of the text from my fabric line, with the intention of decoupaging it onto this surface, with Matte Medium.

I am loving how it looks

My finished piece, that I can hang in my studio!  Home is Where Your Story Begins!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the fabric line...will look forward to it next year!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! The print is so cheery. As a seamstress, I can imagine many ways to use that beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Home is where I work so it really is where many of my stories begin! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new fabric line is wonderful. I look forward to its arrival at my local quilt shop. Yes, home is where it all began and begins. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just so gorgeous Jamie. Love the way you've built up the background...and the colours are LUSH.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project, Jamie, and a wonderful way to show and celebrate your wonderful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I love it!!! but I have a question... since you used a checker board it folds in half, how is that working with you painting on top, can you still fold it without damaging your art? or what do you do to avoid that? thanks so much for sharing such an awesome work of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the texture you created in your background fabric! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.