Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sketchbook Challenge Blog Hop - Laura Cater-Woods

Laura C-W here, returning to the Challenge after a hiatus. It's been a crazy time but life is settling down, finally. One thing that has helped me get back on track is my time away from home and studio.The visits to the"treehouse" Hideaway soothe me, inspire me, allow me to quiet down and center. 
Here is the view from the main deck at the treehouse. It is a remote location, completely off the grid, quiet except for bird calls, coyote song, owls and the occasional large cat.

My sketchbook/journals go with me. In my breaks from whatever hiking or "work" I am doing, I collect my thoughts and do a lot of visual thinking. Sometimes new mixed media pieces are planned but mostly the sketchbooks serve as a repository for ideas or  observations. Photos, scraps of paper or fabric, random thoughts collect here. These pages are a selection for you:
I am always interested in spirals, in textures of wood, rock forms and the phases of the moon.

When I come back to my Home from time in the mountains, I am renewed. Eventually the seeds planted in the sketchbooks will find their way into my imagery.
these two little pieces were part of a series of "dreams", houses holding memory.

For a more extensive tour of my mountain hideaway, please visit my blog and leave a comment, you will be in the drawing for a pdf of my workbook, "Idea to Image". The winner will be drawn by random on October 4.

1 comment:

  1. We all need a place to renew our creative spirit, and yours sounds just perfect. Your 'dream' houses are delightful.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.