Saturday, October 5, 2013

Wildlife

from my sketchbook
from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
Jane LaFazio here. I always prefer to draw from real life, in my sketchbook, but with animals, it's often impossible. These sweet birds and deer were drawn from museum specimens.
from my sketchbook
detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
from my sketchbook
detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
from my sketchbook
detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
from my sketchbook
detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
One of the members of our Sketchcrawl group, checked out the taxidermied animals from the San Diego History Museum. She invited us to her house to draw and paint them. She had two owls, an octopus, 3 birds, a deer and a turtle for us to draw. As you can see in the photo below, the animals were in plexi-glass cases. It was a great activity, and of course, it's always great to get together with friends and work in a sketchbook.
sketchcrawl sept 13
San Diego Sketchcrawlers (celebrating my birthday).
We usually don't wear party hats!

3 comments:

  1. These drawing/paintings are truly lovely, Jane. My oldest daughter went to risd where they have a large "specimen" library for students to utilize for drawing purposes. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that you could check out specimens! Beautiful pages Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, I love how you got them to freeze so you could paint them, so creative!!! Love your sketchbook pages!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.