Monday, November 25, 2013

And the Moon Under Her Feet

When I hear words like moon & stars, quotes instantly come to mind. I have a huge collection of quotes. I have been using quotes to inspire my art for decades. In fact, I just published a book of art inspired by quotes - Quotes Illustrated: 100 works of art inspired by words, (available HERE and on Amazon. It's a compendium of art by over 80 mixed media artists.

So when this month's theme was presented, my thoughts immediately turned to two of my favorite quotes:

And there appeared a great wonder in heaven;
a woman clothed with the sun,
and the moon under her feet,
and upon her head
a crown of twelve stars. 
Revelations 12:1

Let the waters settle
you will see stars and moon
mirrored in your Being.


A sketchbook is a place to practice and experiment, so with that in mind, I decided to do my own lettering for the Revelations verse. I used a variety of white pens and a china marker to test out how well they would work on both the painted age and a TAP transfer. I wrote with the white china marker first, then painted over it because it acts as a resist to paint. It wasn't dark enough though, so I went back in with my Sharpie paint marker which did the trick.

Then I used a black Pigma pen to outline the writing. The Pigma did not like the TAP transfer and stopped working 1/2 way through. I tried two more pens in my stash, a Sakura Identi Pen and a BIC Mark-It. Both worked beautifully.

The biggest problem I encountered was that I need to PRACTICE my hand-lettering. I don't have the patience for it either. That's another thing I will have to work on.

So for the next quote, I just transferred the quote (with TAP) and did a paint dribble page, collaged with stars and a moon cut from a Ranger metal foil tape sheet .

Now it's YOUR turn. Here is a quote to inspire you - 

The moon for all her light and grace
has never learned to know her place.
Robert Frost

Now go for it!


  1. I love this theme...I can't wait to get started!

  2. I think that your lettering looks great. I can't wait to see the book!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.