Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Moon and Stars, and the earth, of course...

We have had a beautiful full moon over the past few days, which I see through the trees at my house. It is always a beautiful sight and barring clouds, the light is brilliant. The other night I awoke in the middle of the night and could see light coming from the hallway, outside my bedroom door. I got up, thinking I had left a light on in my office and found that the moon, having risen high above the trees was shining so brightly through the hallway window that it had apparently awakened me. I stood for a few minutes, marveling at the brilliance of that moon. A small gift in the night.

We are leaving in a few days for Ecuador and I will view that beautiful moon from near the Equator, where, high in the Andes, it always seems even bigger and brighter. The Incas, who once lived in Ecuador built temples to the sun and the moon. They revered the Pachamama, who is the mother earth who sits among the stars and the moon. It is still a custom in the Andes to salute the Pachamama when drinking among friends, by splashing a bit of one's beverage onto the ground and toasting "A la Pachamama!"

This is my 12 x 20 piece for the Twelve by Twelve challenge theme "Mythology." My interpretation of the Pachamama, who sits among the moon and stars.

I will be out of the loop while in Ecuador, so I will take this opportunity to wish all the artists and readers of the Sketchbook Challenge wonderful holidays! And during this busy time, take a moment now and then to look up and enjoy the beauty and inspiration of the night sky. Peace.

Terry Grant

4 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.