Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Venus & The Fall Moon

Leslie here.  I love to look at the night sky in the fall.  The temperatures here in South Texas are beginning to cool off and the night sky is usually a bit clearer.  One of the biggest treats is to go outside and view the moon when Venus is nearby.
For this project I began by creating a collage using ephemera such as old pattern paper, gauze, and other bits of sheer cloth.  Using the "Stitch A Doily" stencil from StencilGirl, I worked across the surface with opaque white and yellow acrylic paint, overlapping as I went.

Once dry, I cut house, moon, and star shapes from freezer paper and pressed them onto 
the surface with a warm dry iron.

Then, using a laser-cut envelope as a stencil I worked across the surface with transparent blue and a blue-purple paint.

Once the freezer paper is removed I have my shapes.

Inside the house, I wrote the first portion of the lullaby, "I See The Moon".
I used a Pentel Gel Roller Fabric Pen.  This pen is great, even over such a rough surface!
Read below:
I see the moon, the moon sees me
shining through the leaves of the old oak tree
Oh, let the light that shines on me
shine on the one I love.

Over the mountain, over the sea,
back where my heart is longing to be
Oh, let the light that shines on me
shine on the one I love.

I hear the lark, the lark hears me
singing from the leaves of the old oak tree
Oh, let the lark that sings to me
sing to the one I love,

Over the mountains, over the sea
back where my heart is longing to be
Oh, let the lark that sings to me
sing to the one I love.

Next, I used a thermofax of a lovely sketch made by one of my daughter's friends
for her birthday a few years ago.






3 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.