Tuesday, January 14, 2014

3 little houses

Sue B here...

I know I've been absent from the blog for a few months but my recover from shoulder surgery in November has been a lot longer than I anticipated.  I will have several more months of physical therapy to regain my range of motion but I am slowly getting back into the creative groove.  Because my arm is still quite weak it makes sketching, drawing and painting a little more challenging but I decided to take a stab at creating something for this months theme anyway...

I decided that I would combine collage, sketching and stitching for this theme.  I started by grabbing a few pieces of scrap lotka paper and used my sewing machine to stitch out the shape of a house on each one:

Then I used a black marker to doodle in some details:

I set those aside while I created a collage of torn lotka papers on a piece of water color paper to create a landscape for my houses:

Then I trimmed the stitched houses by carefully tearing around the edges of each one and glued them in place on the landscape:

It felt like it needed a little something more so I gave them each a walkway and added a sun:

 Sewing on paper is easy and fun and here are some tips that will help make your project a success:

• Use a sharp needle, a dull needle will make a bigger hole than you want and may actually tear the paper instead of piercing it.

• Remember that once you sew into the paper you can’t rip your stitches out without leaving holes! Do some test sewing on a piece of scrap paper first to gauge your stitch length and thread color.

• Set your stitch length a bit longer than you would when sewing on fabric or you’ll end up perforating the paper.

Sue Bleiweiss teaches a variety of classes in quilting and surface design.  Visit Sue's website here to see her current workshop offerings and her schedule of classes here.


  1. Love it .... wonder if I can get lotka paper in UK ?

  2. This is very fun! I love that kind of paper, and had totally forgotten about it until now. Love the project, the bright colors, and of course, the houses! Glad you are on the mend!

  3. So cute! I wish you a speedy recovery. I suffered a lot with shoulder issues and surgery when I was your age. Now 30 years later I have full range of motion and only a very little pain on occasion. I am sending you good karma for a smooth recovery. Your art is always wonderful.

  4. Good to see you back in action, take it steady.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    1. Sorry about that Sue. it was full of typos :)
      Those little houses are lovely, but you must be feeling so frustrated that you can't do everything you want with ease. Especially now that you're moving house too! I hope your shoulder heals soon.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.