Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pushing the Edges

Hi!  Jacqueline here....
Part of the beauty of being a part of the Sketchbook Challenge is that it can push you to the edges of your "artistic" box.  I have to admit that this month's challenge, "Sketching with Collage" was something I wasn't sure what it meant.  So I googled it, looked on Pinterest for clues, and watched what the other creative artists posted here on the Sketchbook Challenge.  Then I realized that using collage with sketches can involve a wide range ideas and variety art and that I have actually being doing this in my watercolor journals for a long time.
For instance, one of my favorite things to do in my journals is to use book pages in foreign languages as a background for my watercolor paintings.


For this page, I started with a page from a French book that my mom used in her studies so it has her notes in the margins of the page.  She was a very colorful French lady and I love being able to use her written words in my watercolor journals.
I started by using a page that I had accidentally started painting upside-down.  Needless to say, I was not happy with this page...

I glued the page out of my mom's book with watered-down YES glue, covering over my upside-down drawings.  I feel better already about this page!
Then I with my watercolors, I painted a pink bouquet of flowers.  My mom would have liked the pink flowers.  Plus her lovely hand-written words still show through the colors of my painting. 

5 comments:

  1. I love your painting, Jaqueline - the printed text background certainly adds an extra dimension! I combine collage,drawing & watercolour; it's one of my favourite ways of working! I usually draw onto the collaged areas & use watercolour on the rest of the piece - I love the variety it creates! Here is a link to a portrait of Isadora Duncan that I created using these methods, if you would like to see: http://wp.me/p46kI1-4J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely sensational! I LOVE the way you can see the writing thru the painting! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manifique! Love your mom's notes in French - wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first attempt at linking to Sketchbook Challenge, so I hope I am doing it correctly. The idea of sketching and collaging together is not something I have tried before, so I was inspired to try something in this way, which you can see here on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.