Monday, January 6, 2014

Sketch Collage in Journals

Mary Beth here to talk about how I use sketching and collage in my journals. When I first heard about Kari's theme, I had a disconnect and was thinking, huh? I either sketch or collage, I don't do both!?!? And then it hit me (confession time).......oh yeah, this is my process when I have a 'sketch gone wrong'. Not to say I judge myself, hahaha, but I think you all know what I mean, you are working on a journal page and all of a sudden your sketch moves in a different direction and suddenly you are about to tear out the page.
Or you can re-work it like this. 
Here is an example of a page from a travel journal. Serious re-work here on top of a sketch and watercolor painting.
I felt like I had 'shamed' the starfish with my drawing, so I collaged over top of it with patterned papers.
This time, instead of waiting for a sketch to go wrong, let's start with the intent to collage over our sketch.
Step 1 - Make a line drawing in your sketchbook.
 Step 2 - Use paper to collage the various parts of your drawing. This is hand painted deli wrap I happened to have on hand. I glued it down with Golden Gel Medium.
 Step 3 - Close up of leaves, you can see I am messy - the glue around the edges will actually make this more interesting in the end.
 Step 4 - Time to start the flower, I decided to use paint stained paper towels, these are actually 'waste' that I save in a plastic bin. I separated the layers before starting.
 Step 5 - Collage process is the same as above, I am using Golden Gel Medium. That little lavender bit is a dried baby wipe, they are kind of hairy and you can spread them out to be sheer.
 Step 6 - I like working texture into the piece via folds and wrinkles in the paper. Along with different hues of the color.
 Step 7 - It is fairly wet with glue, so I let this dry overnight before proceeding further.
 Step 8 - I gathered some Faber Castell markers and a Derwent Inktense pencil for the next part.
 Step 9 - Loose drawing of the edges with the Inktense pencil. Then I wet it with water to get some intentional bleeding, that will dry permanent (because I am using an Inktense pencil). I also touch up here and there with the markers - they are India Ink so also permanent.
 Step 10 - I used Scribbles in several different colors to embellish the center, they dry sort of 'raised', not like a puff paint, but a little bit. I like that effect.
 Step 11 - It is done. See how there are white areas where the dried glue resisted the paint in the background? I like the variation and loose feel that creates. You can always paint over it if that's not your thing.
I hope you enjoy playing with this process. It is great for saving a sketch or just creating a different kind of piece. We want to see your work, so add your pages to the Flickr slide show.


  1. Thank you for sharing your process. I think I'd like to give this a try to add to my idea bag! What are "Scribbles"? Are they the Faber Castel markers that you referred to? I haven't seen them before.

    1. Hi Janet, Scribbles are found in your craft store in the fabric section, with fabric paints and such. As you can see, I don't use them on fabric :) They are quite the bargain product, each color runs about $1 or so. I use them all the time!
      Here is a link to the company website so you can read more and also see a picture of them.

  2. Love the results of you stretching yourself!

  3. How do you cut/tear the deli paper to shape?

  4. Fantastic tutorial. Thanks MaryBeth!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.