Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sketching with Collage

! Happy 2014 !


Hi gang!  Kari here, hoping you have all made it through the holiday season having told those you love what they mean to you!  I'm here to tell all of you how much you mean to me!  I am so grateful to have heard from those who have popped in to view this collective.  Those who have written, texted or stopped me in the halls at venues- it all means so much!  The positive support, and the kind words are just what is needed for me to screw up my courage to share again the next month.  I am so thankful for creator Sue Bleiweiss and all the other hosts who share from their wells and make this site possible.  You are so appreciated!

With the beginning of this new year, there will be a few new things happening!  You will be noticing some links at the bottoms of posts that will allow you to go in and participate in a slide show on flicker each month.  I encourage you all to play!

Sketching with Collage
So this months theme I thought I would go back to the basics- something I love to do, and something I found I can do almost anywhere as well.  I've been struggling with my eyes since the end of September, so these are all very basic samples, but I thought they would serve as good jumping off points for you.

Pardon me for a quick side trip indulgence - the instructor side of me is coming out a bit, but I wanted to share the info for those who are interested.  

I use heavy watercolor or multi-media paper in my sketchbooks (at least 90lb weight)

I use whatever old text, maps, ticket stubs, wrapping paper, schedules etc that I have lying around.  I don't worry if it is archival or not.

I use Pam Carrikers Mixed Media Adhesive- (Jerrys Artarama)  Perfect Paper Adhesive-Matte (USArtquest) or Liquitex Matte Medium to adhere my various papers to my sketchbook page.

I've used watercolor pencils and a water brush on most of these examples because I was travelling on planes as I was working on them.  A couple are with Pan-Pastels.

I guess all my years as an architectural photographer has impacted me strongly in a couple ways.  #1 I hate dragging out my heavy uber camera and tripod.  #2 I think of and use collage in structural terms.

First- I think of collage as a frame to showcase sketches I want to be noticed.




Second- I think of collage as a bridge, to tie sketches together.


Third- I think of collage as a platform, to elevate sketches of interest.


Finally- I think of collage as a foundation, on which to build techniques and texture.
For example, in this Pan Pastel face, I started with a collaged crisp black and white, and very dark photocopy.  I wanted it to be softer and colorful, so I over painted with the Pan Pastels and colored pencils to achieve the look I desired...



,



I'd love to see what YOU like to do with Sketching and Collage.  


The last day of each month we have a slide show of the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group's work for that month's theme. To have your work in the slideshow at the end of this month, be sure to tag it on flickr with jan259.

9 comments:

  1. I love your examples! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Especially that last one and what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so cool how you painted over that portrait. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful pieces...and soooo inspiring!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all- I truly am having fun this year with just playing more:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the samples, great techniques. I'll post a link to my sketch & collage here. will try and do flickr thingy if I can before the end of the month, but on the road for the next 3 days so cutting it fine! http://www.craftyhumphreys.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/art-journal-page-dt-project-using.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, This is my first time to participate in the challenge:

    http://exploreandexpress-sheila.blogspot.de/2014/02/still-sketching.html

    It's been great fun. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.