Thursday, February 20, 2014

Looking Through Your Window

Dion Dior here, the February theme of  Windows is definitely a good one for sketchbook inspiration. 

People keep sketchbooks for some many purposes, but there are always times when it is difficult to find inspiration.

 It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere right now and that makes it sometimes very hard and uninspiring.

  If you live in a snow covered area, you'll understand what I mean.  But it is at this time of year that we can exercise our sketchbook imagination in so many ways.

 I love to sketch windows and then show a scene of some kind through it.  Sometimes I sketch what I see, other times I sketch what I wish I was seeing.  It's a wonderful way to practice your drawing skills and also to explore new media and techniques.

 I have sketchbook pages filled with window scenes.  I often scour the internet for a picture of a great window aspect, then I find something that I think would be great to look out on.  I sometimes find myself filling the walls of my scene with inspirational quotes, personal writing, or just mindless journaling.  It's very enlightening and hugely enjoyable.

This sketchbook page was done in water soluble ink and watercolor in a Stillman & Birn "Epsilon" series sketchbook.  

What are you looking at through your window?  

Don't forget to post images of your "Window" sketchbook pages in the Flickr group and tag it with this months tag Feb257 so it can be included in the end of month slide show.

Thanks for checking in. xx


  1. That's gorgeous! Love the details :)

  2. I have holes in the walls where my windows used to be Dion...we're in the middle of renewing them. It's not the best time of year to do that, but hey ho!
    I could sketch all the building equipment and dust sheets lying around with the scaffolding outside the window perhaps?
    I think it's a great challenge though and love your window.
    Just brilliant ;D

    1. That sounds like quite the scene Neesie. Xx

  3. I love your description of what goes on in your mind, in composing a window scene. I will think of them now, in my art, as windows on hopes, dreams, ... as windows on my heart. Thank you, Dion.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.