Monday, February 24, 2014

Pocket Heart Windows


 Hello friends, Gina here. The Sketchbook Challenge theme for this month is "windows" and I thought, why not make cute pocket heart windows to decorate the cover of my sketchbooks!



Truthfully, after making valentine cards for my son's preschool last week, we had plenty of heart-shaped cut outs that were begging for some repurposing.


I began by tearing out several sheets of blank sketchbook paper to be served as colorful abstract backgrounds. My studio assistant helped me watercolor over random pencil scribbles and crayon resists :).


TIP: I often devote the last several pages of my journals for beautiful abstract messes, in which I wipe/clean off extra paint from my brushes or fingers as well as test drive my pens or pastels. I then paint the entire page with watercolor. These pages become a rich cache of personal "scrapbook paper" to cut and collage with.

The transparent sheets I used here were recycled plastic film from toy packaging, but you could use Dura-Lar acetate alternative.

I carefully straight-stitched around the heart (but left an opening on top).

I added sequins and glitter.
TIP: try not to sneeze at this point.

I sewed the heart pocket closed as well as finished off the edges.

Voila!

These pretty pocket heart windows are ready to glue onto your journal covers.

Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

  1. Love how the sewing turns out on these! Maybe I'll give it a go too at somepoint! Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy. I'm glad this project inspired you!

      Delete
  2. Gina, You rock!
    -Karen (trying "not to sneeze" :-)))))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you get my humor :) Thank you, Karen!

      Delete
  3. Glorious colours. you had an expert helping, I see. These would make wonderful cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! My son is a very good worker. And great minds think alike....I already sent some of these heart pockets as cards.

      Delete
  4. I really like this! Wonderful colours and lots of bling make for happy hearts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caatje! One could never have too much bling, right?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.