Friday, February 14, 2014

"Window" To My Heart: Leslie & Jamie Create Valentine Boxes!

Valentine's Day is Coming!  We each wanted to create a valentine box

Jamie - I started with a box from Anthropologie.  I had bought some new dishes.  It was a unique box, in that the front flap could fold onto itself, creating a shelf

I used painters tape to secure all of the edges.  I knew that all of this tape would get covered by collage and paint, so I didn't worry about it
Here's my "window" - and the slot for all of the valentine's to go in.  Low enough, that I could reach in and get them
I have a huge stash of collage papers, color laser copies of my work, and paper collages.  I have used these in a variety of ways in other pieces of mixed media books, etc.
I am one-by-one applying Liquitex Matte Medium with a brush to the box first, then putting the paper on.  I also added some Washi paper too, because the colors are so vibrant.  This is the back of the box.
Here is the front of the box with the shelf.  I have collaged newspaper print all around the box, which basically covered all of the painters tape.  I like how newspaper text adds interest to a piece, even though not all of it shows, but the parts that do, are fun.

Bring on the paint!  I added red paint inside the shelf and all the way around the piece, filling in where it was needed

I made hearts with shipping tags that I hung by bringing the string up through the top of the box, where I made slits with an x-acto knife, then made a knot in the top to secure them.  Text is made with magazine lettering.  Valentine's day is all about friends, family and art
My "Follow Your Heart" box - with the window of opportunity
Front of box with hearts.  Love is in the air!

Leslie here.  Happy Valentine's Day!  Remember how much fun it was to decorate a box and take it to school for the Valentine's Day party?  Jamie and I thought it would be really fun to revisit our childhood and make another box for this occasion.
I decided to use a USPS Priority Mail box that recently came to me.

I covered the box with a light coat of white paint.  I like the printing on the box to show through.

I took an old piece of painted watercolor paper and covered it with a light wash of white paint.

Next, I used the Heart Swirl stencil from StencilGirl to put a layer of shimmery pink paint 
on the surface.

I like the faint "read-through" of the background.

Using another stencil (Fade Horizontal by Michelle Ward) I lightly covered the back of the box with more paint.

I tore the edges of my stenciled heart page.

Two layers of washi tape on the top and bottom of the page add another design element to the box.

To further enhance the shapes inside the heart I used a sharpie to outline the elements.

I decided to mottle the paint color a bit by adding a warmer pink with marker in a few spots.

Next, I fused a die-cut bird over the heart.

My "Love Bird" design is glued to the front of my box.

I cut a slot for my cards in the top

I glued a pair of Hello Kitty valentines from a package of "school kit" Valentines 
on the back of the box.

Because I like the birds so much I fused one on each side of my box.

Here is my finished box.  I guess I'll send my Valentine, a card!

We hope you have a wonderful day!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.