Friday, March 21, 2014

Cool Sliced Fruit

Hi, Dion Dior here.  It's "Friday Sketches" day over on my blog, and this week I've been in a food state of mind and have been filling my sketchbook with all sorts of fruit and vegetables.

Fruit presents the artist with some wonderful simple forms and shapes.  Fruit is a forgiving, interesting, and inviting subject because there is so much you can do with a simple fruit still life.

Sliced fruit adds a dynamic interest to a composition.  Trying to capture the juicy variances in the flesh, and the changes in the color tones can be lots of fun.

I especially love the possibilities for color exploration that sliced fruit presents.  There are no rules when it comes to sketching and painting fruit.

For this composition I used a lemon yellow and a cool green to create the color tones in this lime. Yellow is normally considered a warm color, but when blended with a cooler harmonious color like green, it can actually present as cool.

I've been enjoying exploring the concept of warm/cool colors this month, and instead of watercolor, I decided to use Water Soluble Pastel.  The colors are very rich and creamy and the substance of the pastel make for some beautiful texture and splatter.

If you're looking for a simple subject to sketch this week, why don't you try some sliced fruit?

Don't forget to pop on over to my blog and link up with this weeks "Friday Sketches".

Thanks for checking in. xx


  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy, just what we need on a beautiful spring xx


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.