Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Color Yellow

Happy May Day!  Jacqueline here...
Yellow is bright and light.  It is cheerful!  It reminds me of spring’s newest leaves, fuzzy chicks, and bright sunshine.  Yellow is a delicate color that can easily be used to create a beautiful journal page.    Since there are warm yellows and cool yellows, I like to do lots of color studies mixing my different yellows with other colors on my palette.  
A colorful wash of yellows (Quinacridone gold, nickel azo, Hansa yellows...) is a great way to start a journal page.  It is easy to paint on top of yellows creating a variety of blues, greens, reds and oranges.  It works with leaves, flowers, trees, as well as buildings.  Here is how I used yellow as a starting color for my watercolor journal page:  Orvieto, Italy Flower Market Day.  
A word of caution -Yellow can quickly get muddy if over-mixed or if added to its compliment - purple.
I started with a mix of warm and cool yellows and let them mingle on my journal page

Here I have drawn in my sketch and started adding more color.

I continue to add color and now some darks. 

I add more defined shapes

Final Journal Page

The last day of each month we have a slide show of the Sketchbook Challenge Flickr group's work for that month's theme. To have your work in the slideshow at the end of this month, be sure to tag it on flickr with may482.




10 comments:

  1. Happy May Day! I love yellow and am already inspired to create using this theme! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie - yes it is a lovely color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty page. The yellow makes for such a warm, friendly feeling to your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring. Thanks for spreading your sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Timaree and Saxongirl! You can't go wrong with yellow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a gorgeous piece! I'm inspired, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this page! Amazing that it started with that simple wash! You are such an inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you CC and Nini. I hope you share what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Inspiring! Thank You for showing the progressive photos. Beautiful work. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this yellow color does really match in a perfect way Italy as a colorful, happy and sun shining country ! Love it ....

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.