Sunday, July 13, 2014

making books

Sue B here...

Since we're taking a little vacation from themes this month I thought I'd share what I've been working on.  Instead of working on paper, I've been working on canvas fabric...

I started out by laying down blocks of color onto plain cotton canvas fabric and then once it was dry I screen printed some images over it using Jacquards Screen printing ink  in opaque white.


 The writing on the fabric you see above was done by using an ink filled craft syringe. 
 


The screened image of the buildings was made by drawing the image onto a silkscreen using the Jacquard drawing fluid.  Love this stuff!  You can draw any image you like on the screen and then use it to print on fabric or paper.  

  





I turned a few of the painted surfaces I made into some journals:




And I filled the insides with  hand painted pages, fabric pages with papers,folders and envelopes and pockets stitched to them.




I'm going to be teaching a three day workshop on creating these fabric journals in San Diego in October.  Click here to visit the San Diego Book Arts website for more information on the workshop.


3 comments:

  1. I suddenly wished I lived near San Diego! Could an online class be in the making?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating technique. I would like to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to look out for those printing inks..

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.