Monday, September 1, 2014

Words



Jackie here, I am delighted to be setting September’s Sketchbook Challenge, which is what you do with Words in your sketchbooks. Over on my blog I am posting a video of some of my sketchbook pages in which I have used words and writing in various ways. I like my own handwriting and I hope you will learn to love yours as well, the advantage of using your own writing is that it can be as decipherable as you like, and include as many  loops and squiggles as you care for. Words are, I think, great prompts.
For many of the sketchbook themes in the past I have included words and used the words in the theme to act as prompts.







 Include words from a favourite song, a poem, something you hear on the radio or even look in a book of quotations for a starting point. I like to use pages from old books as well, you can mask out some areas with gesso, stencil over the page, tear the page up to make a collage background; there are so many ideas to start a unique sketchbook page.
My word for ‘Sketchbook Challenge’ the book was 'rhythm’, and I started by writing it over and over again, sometimes to music.







Please share your images from this months theme in The Sketchbook Challenge Flickr Group, and don't forget to tag it with the code sep237 so it can be included in the end of month slide slow on this blog.

12 comments:

  1. I didn't notice a tag to use for posting art this month (or last month either). Are we not doing that anymore?? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Christie, the tag for August is aug174 and the tag for September is 237. I just added info for both months to the theme posts.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the o.k. to mix words with symbols! I find it so much easier to express myself by combining them on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased to be able to participate this month...what an exciting theme!! May we do multiple pages?? Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you are pleased,please do as many as you like- as the expression goes,'knock yourself out!'.

      Delete
  4. wonderful theme, Jackie! I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jackie, Is there a way to participate withou using FaceBook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, see the link at the top 'how the challenge works', scroll down to the Flickr site link. Post your work there and use this months tag to be included in the slide show at the end of the month. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  6. Hi there,
    I can't find the tag code for September! Can you please help me? I had the same problem in August, before I always found it, has something changed?
    Thank you!
    Anie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - never mind - just found it in the comment above ;)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.