Monday, December 1, 2014

all good things...

Sue B here...

It's hard to believe that it's been four years already!  I never imagined when I came up with the idea for the Sketchbook Challenge back in 2011 that it would last so long or touch as many people as it has.   We've all had a great time but like all good things,  it's time for the sketchbook challenge to end.  This month will be the last theme we post and in keeping with the saying all good things must come to an end, our last theme is going to be...

All Good Things

Fill your sketchbook pages with good things - the things that make you smile, bring back a warm memory,  the traditions and rituals that you begin and end your day with, connect you to the ones you love and want to preserve for generations to come. Fill it with the things that make you happy.

And even though this is our last challenge I do have some good news: this blog will stay up  indefinitely so you'll have access to the last four years of themes and inspiration to inspire you for a long time to come! 

Here's a few good things from my sketchbook from over the last few years ...

My very first sketch was for the challenges first theme "highly prized" :

My sketchbook pages have come a long way since then.  At the time I wasn't really using my sketches as a springboard for my quilts but that changed pretty quickly once I realized the value of playing on paper first before cutting into any fabrics.  Now three years later every quilt I create starts on the pages of my sketchbook first...

This sketch above was one of many that eventually resulted in this quilt:

I love to draw buildings, houses and dwellings in my sketchbooks, it's my favorite subject to work with.

 and this one was a starting point for a quilt to celebrate my garden and the arrival of the hummingbirds each summer - definitely a good thing in my area because it signals the end of winter and the arrival of warmer weather
This sketch eventually became this quilt:

Another good thing you'll find in my sketchbook pages are sketches inspired by my dogs.  

I wanted to create a dog quilt but I wasn't looking to create something realistic.  I wanted something whimsical.  So I started by sketching a lot of dogs...

I made quick rough sketches of a lot of dog faces...

and eventually all those sketches resulted in this quilt:

If it wasn't for the sketchbook challenge I may never had discovered the value of working on paper first.  Now I can't imagine working any other way and that, for me is definitely a good thing!

Has participating in the sketchbook challenge changed the way you use your sketchbook?

Please share your images from this months theme in The Sketchbook Challenge Flickr Group, and don't forget to tag it with the code dec735 so it can be included in the end of month slide slow on this blog.


  1. I used to be able to brag that I made something for every single month from the very beginning but these past six months got away from me....I have the last six themes on my "To Do" list and definitely will do them!

    This group inspired me to get my paper and pencils out...something I haven't done for years and years and I thank you all for that!

    Now I need to go draw something for our Christmas cards!!!

  2. Thank you for making my sketchbook a regular part of my life!!

  3. Sue, thank you so much for inviting me to participate in the SBC!
    I have truly enjoyed the past four years.
    It really has flown by, hasn't it?
    I feel blessed to have been a part of this fun and informative blog. You certainly had a timely (and well planned) creative idea that touched many lives. Thank you again! Carol Sloan

  4. Thank you Sue! It was inspiring and fulfilling. My other passion is now art journaling. I also love making books because I took one of your classes!

  5. I just recently discovered SBC. So glad I did. I hate to see it end, as I just started to keep an art journal thanks to you. I haven't found another place like this. Especially for a beginner. Good luck in all you do!

  6. It has been an amazing experience to be a contributing artist for this online project. Who would have guessed that it would still be going through 2014? I am delighted to have been a part of it!

  7. I found this web site shortly after its inception.
    I have learned so much. My art journal is now my best friend.
    My thanks to all the contributing artists for their time and inspiration.
    Good luck to all of you~

  8. What a pity it's ending, but I really enjoyed visiting this blog on a regular basis and being inspired by it. A big thank you to all the artists who shared their work and ideas here.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.